Malaysiakini guilty of contempt over readers’ comments, fined RM500,000
KUALA
LUMPUR – The Federal Court
has found Malaysiakini guilty of contempt, while its editor-in-chief, Steven
Gan, was found not guilty in a suit brought by Attorney-General Tan Sri Idrus
Harun.
The
seven-member panel, chaired by Court of Appeal President Rohana Yusuf, said
that Malaysiakini should have been aware of the comments posted on its news
portal, seeing that it has an impressive editorial team structure, among
others.
She
said, as a result, it is not possible for such a structured system not to have
taken notice of the comments.
She
added that this case serves as a reminder for the public not to attack the
judiciary through online comments.
Malaysians
must use their discretion when posting remarks online, she said.
Other
members on today’s panel are Chief Judge of the High Court of Malaya Tan Sri
Azahar Mohamed, Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Datuk Abang Iskandar Abang
Hashim, and Federal Court judges Datuk Seri Mohd Zawawi Salleh, Datuk Nallini
Pathmanathan, Datuk Vernon Ong Lam Kiat and Datuk Abdul Rahman Sebli.
It
was a 6-1 majority decision with a dissenting judgment by Nallini.
The
apex court is now hearing submissions from Malaysiakini and the
Attorney-General’s Chambers before sentencing.
The
AGC is seeking a RM200,000 fine against the news portal while Malaysiakini is
pleading for a fine of between RM20,000 and RM30,000.
After
a short break, the apex court fined Malaysiakini RM500,000, with the sum to be
paid within three days from next Monday.
Following
the sentencing, the Malaysiakini news portal’s landing page now appears in
black and white.
According
to the site, this is the first time Malaysiakini is being cited for
contempt of court in its 21-year history.
Following
the court’s ruling, Gan was quoted as saying: “We were not
punished for our journalism. We were punished for comments posted by our
readers.”
“We
hope that Malaysians will contribute to our fund. Openness to critical views is
a sign of a strong and healthy institution.
“For
21 years, Malaysiakini has relied on the generosity of the public to continue
its mission. We again call upon Malaysians to come to our aid.”
Currently,
there is no legal limit to the penalties for contempt of court.
Malaysiakini
is represented by lead counsel Malik Imtiaz Sarwar while senior federal counsel
S. Narkunavathy appears for the Attorney-General’s Chambers.
Last
June 15, Idrus filed committal action against the news portal.
On
July 13 last year, the Federal Court heard submissions from both parties on the
merits of the committal action and went on to reserve its judgment.




0 comments